(Disclaimer: all recipes being shared here were recipes I learned in my baking class. Just sharing my own notes, they're not of my own invention)
Okay so since today is 4th of July.. What better pie to share than the All-American CHERRY PIE? :)
Hope you guys enjoy, and if you try making it, leave me a comment & let me know how it came out! :)
P.s. - Remember to check out the recipe for the crust here, if you haven't yet!
Yield: 2 Pies, 9 in. (22 cm) each
- Tapioca - 1.5 oz.
- Salt 0.03 oz. - (1 pinch)
- Granulated sugar - 1 lb.
- Almond extract - 0.08 fl. oz. (½ tsp.)
- Canned pitted cherries, drained, liquid reserved - 3 lb.
- Mealy dough pie shells, unbaked - 2 shells
- Unsalted butter - 1 oz.
- Egg wash - as needed
- Stir the tapioca, salt and granulated sugar together. Add the almond extract and cherries.
- Stir in up to 8 fluid ounces (240 milliliters) of the liquid drained from the cherries, adding enough liquid to moisten the mixture thoroughly.
- Allow the filling to stand 30 minutes. Then stir gently and place the filling in the unbaked pie shells.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Dot the filling with the butter.
- Place a top crust over the filling; seal and flute the edges. Cut several slits in the dough to allow steam to escape. Brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar. (I did not do this. Check picture!!)
- Place on a preheated sheet pan and bake at 400°F (200°C) 50 to 60 minutes
|Instead of covering it whole, I cut my pie crust into strips & made a lattice top. |
Even though it takes a little longer to arrange them on top, I love the look! :)
Come back tomorrow for some delicious Apple Pie recipe! :)