To make it worse, I'm in culinary school & we're not allowed to have our nails done! AHH! I've been going crazy. I have actually many times spent hours doing my nails to have to take it out in the morning, just to relax myself. Buuut, it made blogging & such almost impossible.
I'm trying to get back a little, and this week I decided I am going to post a pie-a-day, with a recipe & pic for you guys :)
Since I'm in Baking & Pastry, my passion REALLY is my baking & I figured I could share some of that with you guys since nails lately are kinda hard to keep up with :)
Anyways, today, I'm going to give you the recipe for the pie crust I'll be using in all the next posts!
Hope you enjoy!
Basic Pie Dough
Yield: 2 lb. 10 oz. (1200 g), 3 shells
- Unsalted butter, chilled - 1 lb.
- Pastry flour - 1 lb. 5 oz.
- Buttermilk or water - 4 fl. oz.
- Salt - 0.4 oz. (2 tsp.)
- Granulated sugar - 0.5 oz.
- Vanilla extract (optional) - 0.5 fl. oz. (1 Tbsp.)
- Cut the butter into medium dice ⅜ inch (9 millimeters) square. Sift the flour onto a work surface or into a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the desired consistency (flaky or mealy) is reached.
- Combine the buttermilk, salt, sugar and vanilla in a bowl with a whisk. Gradually add the buttermilk to the flour mixture. Mix gently until the dough holds together. Do not overmix or add too much liquid.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before using.
|To make the border, pinch dough, put a finger in the side,|
and pinch it again, one finger apart at a time :)
(Disclaimer: all recipes being shared here were recipes I learned in my baking class. Just sharing my own notes, they're not of my own invention)
Come back later today for the first pie in the series, Blueberry Pie :)