Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Life is.. well, complicated. Plus - what's coming this week! :)


A while ago I shared with all of you (or any of you.. Whoever actually reads these lol) that I was making some big changes in my life.. That's still true. I've been crazy busy here in Cali being full time student & full time worker...

To make it worse, I'm in culinary school & we're not allowed to have our nails done! AHH! I've been going crazy. I have actually many times spent hours doing my nails to have to take it out in the morning, just to relax myself. Buuut, it made blogging & such almost impossible.

I'm trying to get back a little, and this week I decided I am going to post a pie-a-day, with a recipe & pic for you guys :)

Since I'm in Baking & Pastry, my passion REALLY is my baking & I figured I could share some of that with you guys since nails lately are kinda hard to keep up with :)

Anyways, today, I'm going to give you the recipe for the pie crust I'll be using in all the next posts!

Hope you enjoy!

Basic Pie Dough
Yield: 2 lb. 10 oz. (1200 g), 3 shells


          • Unsalted butter, chilled -                         1 lb.
          • Pastry flour -                                  1 lb. 5 oz.
          • Buttermilk or water -                          4 fl. oz.
          • Salt -                                       0.4 oz. (2 tsp.)
          • Granulated sugar -                               0.5 oz.
          • Vanilla extract (optional) - 0.5 fl. oz. (1 Tbsp.)

  1. Cut the butter into medium dice ⅜ inch (9 millimeters) square. Sift the flour onto a work surface or into a large bowl.
  2. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the desired consistency (flaky or mealy) is reached.
  3. Combine the buttermilk, salt, sugar and vanilla in a bowl with a whisk. Gradually add the buttermilk to the flour mixture. Mix gently until the dough holds together. Do not overmix or add too much liquid.
  4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before using.


To make the border, pinch dough, put a finger in the side,
and pinch it again, one finger apart at a time :)



(Disclaimer: all recipes being shared here were recipes I learned in my baking class. Just sharing my own notes, they're not of my own invention)




Come back later today for the first pie in the series, Blueberry Pie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment