Thursday, July 5, 2012

Apple Pie (Pie Week Day 3!!)



(Disclaimer: all recipes being shared here were recipes I learned in my baking class. Just sharing my own notes, they're not of my own invention)



YUM! Apple pie! By far my favorite type of pie :) I actually LOVED this recipe & it was gone like in seconds at work ;)

P.s. - Remember to check out the recipe for the crust here, if you haven't yet!

APPLE CRUMB PIE

Yield: 1 Pie, 9 in. (22 cm)


  • Basic Pie Dough -                                                 1
  • Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored -     2 lb.
  • Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored -       1.5 lb.
  • Granulated sugar -                                           9 oz.
  • Lemon juice -                            0.5 fl. oz. (1 Tbsp.)
  • Vanilla extract -                         0.5 fl. oz. (1 Tbsp.)
  • Pastry or all-purpose flour -                             1 oz.
  • Cinnamon, ground -                  0.3 oz. (1 1/2Tbsp.)
  • Unsalted butter, diced fine -                             2 oz.
  • Streusel Topping  -                                          7 oz.



  1. Roll out 11 ounces (330 grams) of the pie dough into a circle ⅛ inch (3 millimeters) thick and line a 9-inch (22-centimeter) pie pan with the dough. Set aside.
  2. Cut the apples into 12 uniform wedges each. Toss the apple wedges in a large bowl with the sugar, lemon juice and vanilla.
  3. Sift together the pastry flour and cinnamon. Stir the mixture into the apples.
  4. Fill the crust with the apple filling. Dot with the butter. Sprinkle the surface evenly with the Streusel Topping.
  5. Bake the pie at 375°F (190°C) until the filling is bubbling and looks like thick honey, approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Just looking at this I'm wishing I had just made another one.
YUM! YUM! YUM! :)

I just so happen to not have the recipe for the streusel topping I used handy :( I know I know, this is not good.. BUT I can share with you the recipe my book had.. My chef didn't like it as much as the other one he taught us, but it's still good :)


STREUSEL TOPPING
Yield: 2 lb. 5.5 oz. (1.125 kg)

  • All-purpose flour -                      1 lb.
  • Cinnamon, ground -    0.7 oz. (1 tsp.)
  • Salt -                          0.2 oz. (1 tsp.)
  • Brown sugar -                         5.5 oz.
  • Granulated sugar -                      4 oz.
  • Whole butter, cold -                 12 oz.
  1. Combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
  2. Sprinkle on top of muffins or other baking goods prior to baking. Streusel topping will keep for several weeks under refrigeration and may be frozen for longer storage. There is no need to thaw before use. 


Come back tomorrow for some yummy Pecan Pie! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment